Saturday, March 5, 2011

It is easy to code, but challenging to code right

I cannot say I have a lot of experience as a developer. I cannot say that I am ready to teach someone how to write code. I cannot say that what I am writing in this blog is always right.

What I can say is that I always have thirst to learn new things, new techniques. Willing to listen to new ideas, willing to discuss them and willing to share my experiences.

What I am saying is that I am always open to learn, open to try something new, and I think every developer should be. Sure I make mistakes, but making errors and then fixing them is making me better at what I do.

I said all of this, because I think it is time to step up my game. After few conversations with colleagues from work and college whether I am ready to guide other developers, give advices about what and why, and whether have the confidence to do it, I decided that I am not :) But I won't be ready even in 10 years if I don't start from somewhere.

I have this idea for a posts about how to improve the quality of your code. Why? Being a developer at Obecto I am constantly observing the goodness of quality code and I'm practicing on writing one. What I realized is that the point is not always just to make things work. No. Very often you should write something that is less expose-able for bugs, something that is easy to maintain, something other developers could understand, that can extend and something that you can change later on and to still work.

I won't step in into discussions of why and how to write good code, there are other books, papers and articles that cover that. In fact  you can check out this great article written by colleague of mine Vladimir Tsvetkov What’s wrong with the creative community of Flash? in which he writes about the problems of software engineers and how they can level up.

What I will do is explore and give my opinion on certain practices and tools to help us make better looking code.

I will try to make a series of posts on that topic, starting from Improve your code using Sonar with Flex plugin

1 comment: