Thursday, January 7, 2010

It's that time again. Mountain View

Hello!
First of all I'd like to wish Happy New Year!
I have a present for you (well it's actually for me but you can benefit)
Last winter I went to a ski/snowboard sale, with no particular reason, and whatta you know I got home with a snowboard, pair of shoes, bindings and everything. The next day I was already conquering the Vitosha mounatin. That was when I rode snowboard for the first time of my life. And whole season I was so thrilled of how cool is that so whenever I had a chance I went to the mountain to snowboard. So here comes another season, and I will not miss a chance to hop on the lift.
But unfortunately the weather here in Bulgaria is very strange. At new year's eve the temperature was 12°C when 3 days before that it was -10°C. So to go to the mountain you have to know if the weather there is ok and is it ride-able (able to ride :P ). You can always check some websites see what the weather is, other to see web cams of the resorts, but why not have a small application that checks this for you. For that purpose what could be better than an Air application. So I sat one day and decided to create an application showing the weather condition for the next few days, and whether you should go and ride or go and waste time because of the bad weather. Here for all you ski/snowboard/snow/mountain lovers I present you MountainView.



MountainView provides 3-day weather information and live images from webcams for these ski resorts: Vitosha, Bansko, Borovets, Pamporovo. I'd like to thank http://www.snow-forecast.com/ for providing the weather feed, which I personally think is the most correct forecast. I would also like to thank www.skivitosha.com, www.banskoski.com, www.borovets-bg.com, winter.pamporovoresort.com and www.bulgaria-hotels.com for providing maps and webcam images of the resorts.

Download MountainView

So grab it, play with it. Please comment you thoughts
MountainView is created with Adobe Flex. Check out the source code from here

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tony,

    Looks fantastic! I take it I need some sort of Adobe client to run the air app?

    Cheers,

    Mark (mark@snowandtrail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mark!
    I am glad for what you think. To run the application you need Adobe air, http://get.adobe.com/air

    ReplyDelete